Sunday, June 17, 2012

Remembering our Fathers

Father's Day usually gets short schrift compared to Mother's Day, and I did my level best to make sure My Beloved had a good one.  He says he's had a wonderful day, and says he is continuing to have.  The very least I could do for the countless ways he's supported and loved this family through 40+ years.  Through thick and thin he's always been there lovingly supporting us.  Thank you Beloved!

Today can't go by without reflecting on our own Fathers, Ralph and Art. 

My dad, Ralph, and My Beloved's dad, Art.  My dad was a sailor, my F-I-L a soldier.  Both lived through the depression and then WW2.  Hard times on both sides of the ocean for young men.  They both worked so hard to raise their families.  Trying out new things.  Trying and succeeding in making a success of their new lives.  My Dad and Mom moving from Winnipeg to BC, my in-laws moving to a new land from Germany, both with young kids in tow, not knowing what lay ahead, but knowing it had to be done.  They each had so many talents but the thing they had in common, other than My Beloved and I that is, was their love of gardening. I am thankful for both of these Dads, and I miss them each and every day.  When I go into the card store for Father's Day, my heart still lurches at the realization that we don't have a Dad to buy a card for, don't have a Dad to give me the best hugs, don't have a Dad to say how much he loves me, nor a Dad to whom I can tell that I Love Him Very Much.

In honour of our Dads I dedicate this Blog to them.


Among other things, my Dad just loved his Lillies, he had scores of them!  My Mom took this picture on Summer day, about 2 years before he passed away.

My in-laws didn't have a camera, for one reason or another they had a disposable one and my Mom-in-law took this one picture "to finish off the roll" she said.  Taken on an Autumn day.  I love how he's waving.  This picture was probably taken about a year before he passed away.

Both these photos sit on our Buffet, reminders, as if one was needed, of the terrific men they were.  Happy Father's Day sweet Daddies.  This is my "card" for you!    

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Motor! Love my Grand-Fathers and miss them every day.
    xo AEM

    ReplyDelete