Thursday, August 16, 2012

Washy, Washy, Washy

First off, I'd like to start with an apology, an apology, just in case I've done a similar blog like this before.  It's been over 220 days of blogging here and there is a great likelihood that this retired lady is going to do a repeater at some time or another.

We've been experiencing a heatwave of late which is perfect weather for drying clothes on the line outside. 

In fact, I'm doing even more laundry than ever.  I'm always on the lookout for tossing a little something-something in the wash just so I can line dry it.  I love the scent, I love the crispiness.  In fact, there is something supremely satisfying about the act of hanging items out to dry.  Sorting by size, socks, bras, undies and ginch, smallest items  hung on the inside of the line, to the largest items, like sheets on the outside. Sorted by washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, tea towels and dish cloths all together.   Or by person--all of my items on one side, all of My Beloved's on another side.  So when I go to fold them they are already sorted and ready to be put away. 

I have an umbrella clothesline, and dream of having one that extends all the way from the back door to the end of the yard.  One on pulleys, way up on a pole.   Our daughter April has one of those-lucky girl!  Not that I'm complaining, the clothes dry almost as well on mine, and you can be a bit more private, if you are so inclined, to hide your unmentionables.


Before the invention of electric clothes dryers in my mom's world, I remember she'd hang clothes out summer and winter.  We used to laugh at the stiff, frozen items as they were gathered up in winter. The way you almost had to break them to fold them up to fit in the laundry basket.  I remember too that they had this special smell because they were frozen.  I'll bet though my mom wasn't laughing at her cold, cold hands. 

I remember when my Aunty Myrtle and Uncle Ernie used to live in a hotel that my Uncle managed.  My cousin Elaine and I would play downstairs under all of the clothes as they dried in the basement.  I think actually we used to roller skate under the clothing.

When My Beloved was in university, we used to rent in a very old apartment building on Broadway at Burrard Street.  We could wash clothes there, but like my aunty, all of the clothes were strung out in the basement to dry.  Gee it doesn't seem all that long ago when I think back on it.

My dear Mother-in-law, still hangs her clothes out on the line, summer and winter.  If the weather is really bad, she hangs it in her basement.  No dryer for her, which in this day and age is hard to imagine isn't it?  It's not that she couldn't go out and buy one. I think she loves the challenge of the day and usually my little Mumsey wins!

I have been "hanging" onto these two line holders for years.  The last time I had a line that needed them was when April was in Grade 6, but I am passing them on to her for her to use on her line.  I am wondering if they ever got the patent on them, because it says "Patent Pending"!  No matter April, they'll do the trick for you!  Enjoy.


Wishing you warm and wonderful breezes as we reach mid-August.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment