Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Joys of Spring

As we are avoiding the ravine, for reasons I may or may not explain at another time, My Beloved and I were walking up 208th today.  Whenever we walk the ravine at this time of year, we enjoy watching the "skunk Lilly's" (my name for them), poke their heads up through the mud.  It won't be long before the beautiful yellow Lilly's opened up.  They are always a wonderful precursor to Spring.  As we aren't currently walking there, it was a wonderful surprise to look down and see these:


As soon as they open up, the black bugs will come along and pollinate them, then these immense, shiny, long green stems will eventually replace the Lilly and the smell of skunk, or a grow-op will be everywhere because that is the scent they exude.  What a cycle of life goes on in our waterways, who knew!


This stream becomes almost primordial at the foot of 95th, in fact My Beloved and I have each independently thought that we could imagine a dinosaur romping around around down there.  Today though it was a wide and overflowing river bed.  I must take a picture and show you what we mean.

I can't think how often we've been grateful to the city fathers who insisted on keeping the wetlands and ravines in Langley as they are.  It is always a treat to come upon them and find something new and exciting going on.

May this day bring you some new vista today too!

Happy Saturday.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment