Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Bishop, A Crosier and a Little Girl

Today our church, St. Paul's Lutheran in Maple Ridge, welcomed our Synodical Bishop, The Reverend Doctor Greg Mohr. http://bcsynod.org/

On the way to church we told the grandkids that there would be a very special visitor today.  They were a little disappointed that it wasn't "One Direction", but were interested in hearing who it was to be.  I told them that when The Bishop enters the Sanctuary, he will be holding his Crosier, or Shepherd's Crook, which is a symbol of his office in our church.  In childlike terms I said, he is our shepherd, the big boss, we are the sheep! 

On the way to the mailboxes Bishop Greg was standing there and we introduced the children to him.  He was dressed in his street clothes.  Sitting waiting for worship to begin, both our Pastor and The Bishop enter the Sanctuary now wearing his green Chasuble and carrying his Crosier and Catie sitting beside me, sees Bishop Greg with his Crosier and  says:  "there's little Bo-Peep."  I guess my explanation in the van on the way to church wasn't very good!!  I must work on that. 

During worship the Bishop explained to the children what he was holding and what it signified.  I took the liberty of taking a few pictures.


(I think this was a "static" picture.)  Static on our sound system was bad today, of course it was because we had such a special guest!  Murphy's Law.
Bishop Greg demonstrating how a shepherd in the field might use it on his sheep.

After worship, on the way out of the Sanctuary, the Bishop greeted everyone and I told him about Catie's comment. (She was in Sunday School by this time.)  He got a good laugh out of it and said he was going to use it, and use it he did in the Fellowship Hall.  Out of the mouth's of babes!

During lunch I snapped this shot of Bishop Greg and Catie chatting and eating together. Bishop Greg did not know that Catie was responsible for the comment which made it even more perfect. I love these pictures.


Blessings abound!

Happy Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment