Friday, January 27, 2012

Ploughing Through

On our walk today we came across this artifact, embedded in concete. Stuck in the middle of an island on a side street leading to a subdivision. I suppose the sign "the homesteads" along with the poles, reminicent of Ft. Langley, possibly, and the hand held plough is meant to be paying tribute to yesteryear. 

It's all supposition on my part, but I wonder what they were thinking about presenting the plough in this way? Painted in clean, bright, white paint this plough looks as if it's orginal condition just didn't cut it!  Were they thinking it was too representative to keep it in its' original colour, perhaps rusted?  What kind of a message would that be?  That would never do to sell a brand spanking new subdivision, circa '90s.

I can't stop myself from imagining this plow when the lands around here really were homesteads, tilling the land, led by a horse or two followed by a hard working farmer. Oh the stories it could tell.  I don't know about you, but I'd love to hear them but not, the "whitewashed version."


I hope you ploughed through the week, have stories to share, and tales to tell.

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment